6 Tips for Planning an Affordable Family Vacation to Williamsburg, VASeptember 26, 2017
Whether you’ve been researching a destination for your family vacation for months, or are surprising the kids with a spontaneous adventure, we want to provide you with travel tips that will help no matter where you decide to go. Of course, we’d love for you to visit Williamsburg, Virginia and these tips will help you make the most of your trip.
You’ll save time and money while packing in as many thrills and memories into your vacation as you can. We want to help you make this as stress-free as possible and offer advice on how to plan a family vacation on a budget.
1. Find the best time to go on vacation
A quick glance at the theme park and water park schedules will let you know the opening and closing hours, as well as any weeks that the parks may be closed. No one wants to pull a Clark Griswald on their family. The schedule will also help plan ahead for family-friendly shows and exciting special events, like Howl-O-Scream® and Christmas Town™. Or see when the newest thrill rides, roller coasters and attractions are opening. No matter when you decide to visit, this is the place to be!
2. Stick to Your Budget
A memorable, family vacation doesn’t have to break the bank. With careful planning, you can save money with special passes and promotions. Planning ahead may help you save money on travel, too. US News & World Report ranks Williamsburg in the top ten for Best Affordable Family Vacations in the country; we’re confident the destination can work for you.
3. Stay Nearby
You’ll be able to max out your park time by staying in a nearby Williamsburg timeshare or hotel. Also, look into any money-saving hotel + park packages, even for last-minute trips, to make your family vacation even more affordable. The Historic Area and Greater Williamsburg offer many hotel, motel and timeshare resort options for accommodations.
4. Make a Plan Ahead of Time
A carefree, action-packed visit starts with an itinerary. No need to go crazy with planning minute-by-minute, but you’ll be sure to hit all your favorite rides, shows and attractions with a little research. Look into stroller, scooter and wheelchair rentals ahead of time, as well as parking and pet kennels to streamline your day.
Even if you just jot down vacation priorities for each family member like, “Mom wants to go shopping, Dad really wants to read by the pool.” Recognizing important things for each person will keep everyone happy and give valuable structure to your Williamsburg vacation.
5. Take Your Time
You don’t want anyone getting tuckered out on your vacation, so pace yourself. Be sure to take plenty of breaks for shade, water, rest and snacks. Plan for a midday show or take a relaxing train ride to give your feet a break. Enjoy a resort-like atmosphere and rent a cabana or lounger near the poolside. Make sure to account for down time as you plan your itinerary. Breathe in the sites and sounds of the lush, forested landscape that surrounds you at Busch Gardens. There’s amazing natural beauty that can recharge your battery.
6. Pack Wisely
• It’s easy to overlook the weather forecast, but you’ll be glad you checked it. Layering breathable, light-colored clothing will ensure you have a comfortable and stress-free visit, especially during a summer trip.
• Close-toed shoes are always a better bet than flip-flops, which are prohibited on some rides.
• Space-saving raincoats and ponchos can be easily stored in case of bad weather.
• And a baseball cap or wide-brimmed hat can provide some much-needed shade on a sunny day (and don’t forget the sunscreen).
• Know that most rides have lockers nearby in case you need to store small items before topsy-turvy thrills.
• Don't forget to save some room for any gifts and souvenirs you purchase in the park.