Run, Don't Walk... It's International Cheetah Day!November 28, 2018
Next Tuesday is International Cheetah Day, but we’re celebrating all weekend long! Get up close to the world’s fastest land animal with us! But first, let’s start with some fun facts about these incredibly fast felines.
- Cheetahs are the only cat that cannot retract their claws, an adaptation to help maintain traction.
- Cheetahs also have special padding on their feet, specifically designed to grip the ground while running. Their long tail helps with balance!
- Top speeds are up to 70mph, and they can do so in just 3 seconds!
- Cheetahs are easily identified by their spotted fur, but did you know their skin is spotted as well?!
- Cheetahs are included on both the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) list of vulnerable species as well as on the US Endangered Species Act list of threatened species. There are less than 8,000 left in the wild.
This weekend, learn even more about cheetahs and get closer than ever with these exciting offerings:
What if there was a place where you could paint, drink wine, AND meet a cheetah? Oh yeah, you can. This Saturday only, you can do all of those things with Painting on the Wild Side in Tiger Lodge! Book online for an unbeatable deal of just $19.99. Reserve your spot here.
The Cheetah Insider Tour includes designing enrichment activities as well as exclusive access to behind-the-scenes views of the naturalistic habitats of the world's fastest land animal. We’ve added more spots (no pun intended) to the tour this Saturday & Sunday to maximize the fun. Book your tour here.
Get Hands on With Enrichment!
Visit the Animal Care Center on Sunday to help decorate enrichment for the cheetahs, then head over to the habitat at 3:30pm to witness them enjoying it! Crafts, stickers, cards, and much more will be available in the ACC as well.
Best Times to Visit the Habitat
Although you can see cheetahs at Busch Gardens every day, here are the best times this weekend to visit.
- Cheetah Presentation: 10:30am, 11:30am
- Lure Run: 3:00pm
- Custom enrichment: 3:30pm
And don't forget, Christmas Town will be open until 10pm all weekend long, so the fun will last far after the sun sets. Share your photos with us by tagging @buschgardens and #buschgardens.